"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in getting up every time we do." Confucius.
Lately, I have been struggling emotionally, trying to figure out who I am and what my purpose in life is. I know, I know, I am a mom and my purpose is to not screw up three little girls and trust me I am trying my best. But I am wanting more I guess. Life has been an emotional roller coaster for me lately, and I thought maybe a little journaling might help. Gone are the days of pen and paper though, I am going to just put it all out there for the world to see and join the big bad world of bloggers! I am fully aware that everyone has problems and that I am very fortunate for the life I live, but I guess I just want to vent and possibly get a little bit of advice.
Now for the roller coaster. Keep in mind I write how I talk, so this may be a little all over the place. My grandmother used to always tell me that God would never give me more than I can handle, well maybe God and I need to sit down for a little lunch because my plate feels like it is about to overflow. At the start of this year I remember stating, "this is my year" and so far, my strength is just being repeatedly tested. First, was the loss of my beloved Grandmother. As happy as I was that she was finally at peace and with her true love, I missed her so much that I could barely see straight, not to mention that her death arrived on the heals of my uncle's death just months earlier. Then my brother was having all kinds of drama of his own and while I was happy to be a support system for him, it triggered some childhood memories for me that were anything but peaceful. I guess what I am getting at is, that it is so easy for me to shelter myself from the problems outside my own walls. I am comfortable getting lost in grocery shopping and housecleaning and when I was faced with anything else, I think I had a little bit of a freak out.
For months I have been stressing about turning 35. Why, you might ask? Thirty five was the age I always set for myself to reach my goals. I understand that I have many years ahead of me, but 35 was like the first check point on my bucket list. As children, we live in this fantasy world, marry prince charming, have a great career, buy a house, get a dog and cat and have 2.5 children, white picket fence and the whole nine yards. Now I have done pretty well for myself and I do truly love my life, I have a wonderful husband who adores me, I have three beautiful girls who teach me love and happiness daily. I live in a beautiful house, we are surviving the economic catastrophe that is happening throughout our country and we all have our health. And then two weeks ago, my amazing best friend left me and the bottom fell out. Cyndi's death which was right before the dreaded 35th birthday, really spun me for a loop. I am trying my best to grieve in a healthy manner, but it really is taking a lot out of me. Cyndi was that friend you have that you tell way to much to. The person that is always in your corner no matter what, the one I could talk to about all our silly TV shows and pretend it was real life and we couldn't believe it. I have never experienced death like this , I always thought she would be there for me and now I have to branch out and find someone else, I am stuck with a void that I am not sure how to fill. I have built these wall around myself emotionally to keep my feelings safe and now I have to tear them down so that I can have a new support system and that is scary! Luckily, I still have the words of my grandmother telling me that I am strong enough to handle this and my head tells me that I can get through this but I guess I am just not sure how yet.
How brave you are to put your heart out there...I suppose we are all dealing with some demons in some sort of way. And I know that getting it out there does help...no matter how you do it, write it, blog it, hell, you can even shout it from the mountain top....just get it out, don't trap it in...I miss Grandma everday, just reading your words that she said so many times brings me to tears...and p.s. don't listen to that song temporary home---I break down every time, But I know that is what our loved ones would say to us...And they are where they belong. I wish we could get together, we need to sit down and drink a bottle of wine, laugh, cry, and get it all out. I love you for who you are and for who you long to be, most importantly you are you and that is all I need. Keep blogging!!!!
ReplyDeleteRobin, I love you. I look at where you were the first time I saw you about 28 years ago, and I see how far you have come. I know of the strength and determination it took to get you through all those tough times. I've watched you over the years, and I agree with your grandmother. You will make it through; I have no doubt about that. So you hang in there, and let me know if there is anything you need from this old man.
ReplyDeleteI love you Robin. You are in my prayers always and I too agree with your grandmother. Keep your chin up and bring that handsome husband of yours and your three beautiful girls and come up here and visit us. We would love to have you. Miss you bunches, Momma Vera
ReplyDeleteHi Chica! The blog is awesome :)
ReplyDeleteNo one will ever replace Cyndi, She will always be there, in that tender and amazing spot in your heart and soul. Know that as you process all these happenings in your life, that your goals can still be reached. Just know, that Cyndi is still your champion, cheerleader, and friend. She has left with you her passion for taking care of those around us. To defend those unable to defend themselves. I only wish that I had known her better, but in some ways I feel that I do after hearing your speech. You shared with us your friend, you shared your heart and soul, laid out open for all to see. Just know you are loved, cherished, and an amazing woman. Much much love! I hope you see the beauty and and value in you :) I see it :)
5 weeks is a long time to not have an update get your sick as off FB and write
ReplyDelete