Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Cut it Off

So last night, I was all in the emotional zone. But then I had to bail out on a moments notice, couldn't finish my thought.

What I was trying to say was life is not normal. There is no normal. Rich, poor, black, brown, yellow, white or whatever color, none of us are normal because we are different, beautiful, in our own way. I have been lucky enough in my life to meet so many people, men and woman, who have been through experiences similar to mine and people who, of course that have very different lives, but yet can still give me incite.

What is normal, there is none, there is just what you learn from your life and how you incorporate what you learn from other peoples lives into your own. I truly feel blessed that I have friends that have experienced some of the same hardships that I have experienced and I have been able to have deep conversations with people who have have lives that are completely opposite than mine. I am able to compare and contrast. I can look at my life from a nature versus nurture manner and really contemplate it.

I guess what I have come up with is, as I said last night, nothing is normal. What is everyday to me, what normal is to me, is not the same to you. What I understand, or what I can handle, is not the same for you!

Last night, when I had insomnia and was awake at 2 am, I watched the movie "For Collared Girls". I had previously heard what a great movie this was and how I needed to watch it alone so that I could get a good cry out. But I must say, I was highly disappointed. And I actually feel guilt for this. I really thought this movie should have been named something like, "for women only" . As women, we go through many of the same struggles these days. We may not all live in Harlem, but there is still much abuse, sexual and physical that happens to all women, no matter where we live.

My skin is white, I was mostly raised in Napa/Sonoma valley, I went to private schools, but I have experienced pain that can be mirrored by women, not only in this movie that is for "colored women" but by women of any color and from any country. Why can this movie not be for all of us, Tyler Perry, why can you not broaden your genre of women you reach to? So many women can reach out and bond, why must we be limited to our ethnicity? Why cant we be tied together, instead of separated by our heritage?

No comments:

Post a Comment