Saturday, May 5, 2012

RIP MCA

So yesterday I was driving around in the am, doing errands and such.  For some reason I kept hearing a whole bunch of Beastie Boy songs, and I kept turning up the volume and rocking out with my three year olds in tow .

After a morning of spending way too much money, I got home and since my toddlers had woken up way too early, they took a nap and I was able to get on the computer and check in on the world. 

Upon signing into my homepage, I was able to see that Beastie Boy Adam Yauch had passed away.  Now of course, I do not know him, he is not my friend or even any one that I know.  But I love my music and I love the songs that play a part in my life, throughout my whole life, so it still saddened me. 

Now the funny thing is when I was 13ish, I bought 3 cassette tapes, one was Whitney Houston, I loved the song, "I wanna Dance" cuz I really wanted to dance with somebody, the other tape was by Debbie Gibson, and I wish I had a reason for that one other than it was in at the time.  But the third was "Licensed to Ill" by the Beastie Boys.  The funny thing was when I was in seventh grade I was in a group called Pathfinders, it was my religions form of girl/boy scouts.  We went on camporees, had meetings every week, helped out our community, etc...  I loved it, and even more than Pathfinders, I loved Adam Furr.  He was two years older than me, and I thought he was fantastic.  Anyways, he loved the Beastie Boys, but he didn't have the tape.  So the next weekend we were do for a weekend camp trip and I made sure, I had "licensed to Ill" , my Walkman, and a set of headphones that could be shared by two.  And let me tell you that two hour van trip could not have gone better, thank you auto reverse!  Now nothing ever happened between Adam Furr and I, but my thirteen year old ass was satisfied, thank you Beastie Boys!  It was my first experience of music helping a girl set the mood.

Fast forward ten years, "Hello Nasty"  was just out.  A bunch of us bought tickets, one of them is my oldest daughters father.  We were all so excited, there were about five girls and five guys, we arrive at the concert in Oakland, us girls decide that our second tier tickets are just not enough and that we are going to rush the stage.  Of course all the guys think we are crazy and tell us not to, and just as the Beastie Boys are being introduced and running onto stage, the lights are off, everything is dark, we rush the security and storm onto the stage floor.  We are able to get right to the stage, touch all their hands, watch them jump around non stop for three hours singing the songs we had been singing for years.

I guess the point is, music is a part of my life, differant artist and genres are differant segments of my story, so it is always sad to see someone go, but yet I am thankful that they are a part of my story!

No comments:

Post a Comment