So the other night I was watching Jay Leno, this is rare for me. Either I am not awake that late or if I am, I am drinking and talking on the phone, either way, I watched it the other night. Well, to be honest, I turned on the TV as I was cuddling under my sheets, hit the power button on the remote, and there he was.
Anyways, there he was, and I pushed info and our USA Olympian swimmer Lochte, was one of his guests. I viewed the interview and actually enjoyed it a bit. But as I watched it, my wheels in my pretty little brain started turning.
This past Olympic season, I have not been as into it as I usually have been. This is weird for me, I thought maybe, this is the place in my life, maybe I am shutting more doors than I even know.
When I was a child, and even up until a few years ago, I was always very into the Olympics. Possibly, this has to do with the fact that when I was a child not every second of the Olympics was televised, so I only got to see the so called highlights. But this past year, I really could care less. I am sure this has something to do with the fact that I have a lot going on in my life, or maybe I have just picked the sports that I like and that is all that I payed attention to.
Either way, I watched Lochte on Leno and my mind started thinking. I was thinking the same thoughts that I had been pondering while I watched the very minimal Olympics that I watched over these past few weeks.
My thoughts were this. How amazing to grow up and have one goal, to be a gymnast or a swimmer and to win a metal and represent your country in the ultimate competition. I cant imagine having that goal. Growing up knowing what you want to do with your life and being determined to do so. I have never had a goal so cut and dry. Most of my goals have consisted of paying my rent and not screaming too much at my daughters. I don't even have a career, I am simply just trying to keep my head above the financial water so that I can pay my bills and not feel like a degenerate.
But after I had this thought that I had about ones goal being an Olympic medal, I had to ponder, what do you do after you achieve that goal, or worse, what do you do after you don't achieve this fantasy?
Perhaps, I am not that bad off. My goal is simply to survive and to be happy. I should probably stop beating myself up because I don't have a gold medal.
No comments:
Post a Comment