Monday, October 3, 2011

Growing

This weekend, I had the privilege of visiting a girlfriend and her family that I had not socialized with in about 3 years. We both worked at the same place during our last pregnancies, she was due earlier than me, but since I had twins we gave birth 4 days apart, but haven't hung out since. Anyways, we just coordinated our schedules and I drove up to her families house in the mountains only 30 minutes away.
I was without all of my children so my hair was let down a little bit more than usual. My friend lives with and helps out with her 86 year old father, Larry. After visiting and having a cocktail or three, I decide that I need to smoke, my sweet friend says, well come meet my father he is in his room/suite smoking by himself, lets take him a glass of cabernet. So I introduce myself and four hours later I am in love.
By the time I left I knew how to fire a gun, wear a fur coat that cost more than my life, and the feelings that are felt after you come home from the Korean War, along with other conversations that were so personal I cant believe they took place.
Part of my life I was raised by my grandparents, and the other part I looked up to them as examples. I have always felt the most comfortable talking to the people that can show me wisdom and direction.
Saturday night I left my friends house with a reassurance and the courage to face my life. I grew up knowing life would get better and that I could make it. But now, as an adult, I wonder, is this it, is this as good as it gets? Once again, my strength is restored. Because it is not about getting better, it is about growing stronger and loving what you have.

No comments:

Post a Comment