Growing up what saved me was reading books. Whatever I can say about the negative way I was raised, I can say my mother and stepdad always took us to the library, atleast once a week. Granted, we werent allowed to always check out the books we wanted to, but I quickly learned away around that. My stepdad was big into books, we werent allowed to really watch TV, unless it was the news or "educational", but we were required to give a book report each Friday from a book we had check out from the local library. I guickly learned to stuff a book or two in between my "educational" books, or even stuff them in my backpack when no one was looking. For the record, I always snuck them back in, but as I sixth grader I made sure I kept up on my Sweet Valley High and Babysitters Club. Reading was my escape, no matter what was going on, I could always open my books and live a differant life.
Over the past couple of years I have been caught up in raising twins and reading books about what it takes to be the most amazing parent. Keep in mind, I have still maintained my collection of litterature. I have fifty plus books right now, that I have still yet to read, but want to.
Since, the crumbling of so called life, I have picked back up my reading habit. I am reading acclamed books that I have had on my shelves for 5 years! And let me tell you, life is good again. The past two nights I have woke up to go the bathroom and have run back to my bed, just so I can read.
It has given me a new light on life, given me hope. I forgot what it is like to put myself into someone else's life. I love the desire to turn the page and figure out how they fixed it or got through it.
No matter who we are, life is hard, we all have are struggles, we all have the ability to get through.
No comments:
Post a Comment